Tuesday, August 25, 2009

T.M.I.


Last night I was reading a young man's blog which dealt with the issue of God's existence. He told us that an acquaintance, a self-professed atheist, had asked the blogger to prove the existence of God. This blog resulted in many comments from the thoughtful readers who desired to help this young man answer the atheist's question. Many of the answers were deep in theology, referring to scripture and doctrine. Before I realized it I had spent too many hours chasing the references quoted. I surfed the net and found hundreds of articles on the Doctrine of Asiety, on Calvinism, the reformation, Doctrines of Salvation and papers on Arminianism. I breezed through websites that dealt with the existence of God and others that convincingly would lead one to rationalize the "Big Bang Theory". As I entered key words into various search engines hundreds of other blogs were suggested dealing with the same subject matter. As the time passed without notice I suddenly became overwhelmed with the amount of information that is at our finger tips in this age of technology. The accuracy of the information is for the seeker to determine, but undoubtedly the amount available is endless. As my wonderful 13 year old daughter (soon to be 21) would say, "T.M.I."
Too much information!
The proof of God is told in the greatest story ever written. This great story, with many wonderful stories within verses beautifully written can be summed up without an overload of information. Information that can only be understood by those much more intelligent than I, who consume biblical doctrine as if it were a bottomless bag of popcorn. Simply;
First there was God.
He created man to love and to be loved by.
Man sinned.
God's grace was revealed in his patience.
Man sinned again and again...
God became man.
Jesus taught us to "believe"
On the cross Christ said "It is finished" Paid in full!
Jesus died for you and for me.
Faith.
Faith is why I believe in the existence of God.
Years ago when I was still seeking out my own belief system I wrote a poem called "God?"
I can't remember the words, too many years have since passed, but I recall that it began with the words, "In the beginning there was God"
The poem went on to tell of man's fall, then man's narcissistic belief that man created God in our own image. That one day man decided we didn't need God at all. The final line of the poem..."And God cried."
Maybe I will find the poem and share it here. Today my files are all on a computer, that poem was written in long hand on notebook paper, and is secreted away in boxes long ago sealed.
I am thankful that my journey lead that young poet to a belief system that recognizes truth through faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts

Hold My Hand

If you were to ask any of my children what colloquial truisms they recall their father uttering as they passed from toddler to young ad...