Monday, August 3, 2009

A pill for addiction?

Buprenorphine? What is it? It is marketed as an alternative for methadone treatment under the name Subutex or Suboxone.. But what is it? It is a synthetic opioid, a narcotic, similar to heroin. It is used to treat substance abusers. So can Subutex be abused by someone who has spent a lifetime abusing drugs? Yes. Can it kill you? Yes, if abused. One of the side effects is confusion, another is pain and another...depression.
So if someone who has an addiction to prescribed pain killers, doesn't matter which one you choose, receives a prescription from a "we care" doctor for Buprenorphine, this same addict may experience confusion, pain, and become depressed. The addict is already experiencing confusion, pain (real or imagined) and they already spend each day being depressed.
There is definitely a huge market for this new drug (call it what it is). An estimated 2 million people begin a journey of painkiller drug abuse each year. Plenty of doctors will be able to write the script for this drug, it is easier to become a certified pusher of Buprenorphine than it is for Methadone.
I wonder will any of these doctors consider alternatives?
I hope that some will consider introducing Jesus Christ to the addict before prescribing another pill to swallow.
I hope that the addict that said;
"When I finally got to the point where I didn't need the medication any more (the pain killers), I couldn't quit taking it." "Honestly, after being on medicines for so many years, the thought of being off is frightening. It scares me. I think to myself every day, am I going to be able to do this?"
I hope she can.
I hope that every addict that reads these words knows that there are people who care.
I hope that the addict will see that with faith it is possible to end your life of self abuse. It will not be easy, but you will not be alone.
I pray I am not hoping for too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts

Hold My Hand

If you were to ask any of my children what colloquial truisms they recall their father uttering as they passed from toddler to young ad...