Monday, March 2, 2020

The Art of Pain

photo by optic-echo DeviantArt
As a writer, I should provide the reader with dozens of descriptive words which portray pain. But sometimes, a photograph or drawing, a piece of art splashed across a barren canvas, can accomplish what words alone fail to do. I searched the internet for a locum tenens for this one we call Pain. I didn't have to search long to find a photograph I believed completely contains the essence of Pain. This photo is called god of pain. A profound description which seemingly bucks against my belief that God is the greatest Healer, Soother and Comforter. But I did not let the words chosen by the artist distract or persuade me in my choice or my beliefs. I was hypnotized by the artistic value of this photograph. I wonder if the mystery of pain influenced the artist to create  or if an unnamed photograph demanded to be called god of pain.

"Pain" as a word standing alone solicits little emotion. When we add to it, emotions can be concerted or pitied. Pain and suffering, back pain, neck pain, pain in the arse. The pain of loss and growing pains. The pain of not knowing. The pain of finding out. The pain of heartbreak.
There is great pain and small pain. The former is always ours. We must not forget, as much as I try to, painkillers, pain shots, pain medicine and the pain of withdraw. 
Pain knows no boundaries and is a respecter of none. All have experienced pain. All will encounter pain again. It is as old as sin and as fresh as a new morning.
I sit here tonight contemplating this unwanted intruder. A hair's breadth away from proclaiming the worst of pain. The Pain of Pains, The King of Agony. I call it-
The Toothache.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts

Hold My Hand

If you were to ask any of my children what colloquial truisms they recall their father uttering as they passed from toddler to young ad...