Sunday, March 8, 2020

Tell Me a Story


Everyone loves a story. Early in life we listen with wonderment at the bedtime stories told to us by loving parents. We travel through life as stories unfold before our eyes and ears during Saturday morning cartoons, at the drive-in on Friday nights and again on Sunday mornings from the pulpit. Storytellers guide us through life with their words and pictures. We don’t call them storytellers, instead they are authors, cartoonist, screenwriters, preachers, artists and parents. But each, at their core, are storytellers.
Growing up, I craved the company of the talented storyteller. With their tales they whisked me away from the humdrum of reality. From the Jetsons to Bugs Bunny and his loony sidekicks, to the stories of Mark Twain, Leslie McFarlane and Lewis Carroll, to Sunday nights with the wonderful worlds of Disney, I would feed my imagination at their table. With the 70s I discovered storytellers masquerading as songwriters; Sir Elton, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchel and Paul Simon, grand lyricist whose stories were enhanced by musical notes.
I loved hearing all the stories. Then one day I discovered I wanted to tell stories as much as I wanted to hear them. I wanted to tell them, sing them and write them.
“A Red Dress Night” is a collection of the stories that have pushed through the gray matter and come to life before my very eyes. The characters, the places, the plots, all born unexpectedly as I sat on my back porch sipping coffee or laying awake deep into the night letting my thoughts go wherever they desired.
I hope you read my stories and that they will bring you the momentary escape I have longed for since a child old enough to hold minds with Dr. Seuss. I think they are good stories, some great. But I am biased, so I leave it up to you, the reader to judge.
You can order your copy today at A Red Dress Night (Kindle Edition). The paperback edition should be ready to release midweek.
Happy reading,
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts

Hold My Hand

If you were to ask any of my children what colloquial truisms they recall their father uttering as they passed from toddler to young ad...