Saturday, February 13, 2021

Winter has made a most unusual appearance in south Texas with temperatures predicted to fall into single digits. Armed with a cup of hot chocolate and a thick sweater, I sat down at my writing desk to pen more stories for the third book in the Storyteller series-Whisper Dancing. Below is an excerpt from the title story. Enjoy! And if you do, please take a virtual jaunt to my author's page (J Hirtle Books) and pick up a copy of one of my books. Thanks in advance and stay warm.


From "Whisper Dancing"

“Someone broke you heart?” Clara asks.

“No.”

“You answer too quickly. You are lying to me, Jimmy Quinn.” Peering through the keyhole, “Who was she? Who broke your heart?”

He can feel her eyes watching him. Turning away before answering, “She didn’t break my heart. Life did. Her name is Laura. Life broke everything when we moved here, away from Cambridgeport. Not long after, she wrote me and told me she was moving to Texas with her father. Her mother died from the flu. I haven’t heard from her since. I may never see her again.”

“Perhaps you will. Did you love her?”

“No. I don’t think so.”

“And yet your heart aches.”

Silence re-enters the rooms separated by a door locked by greedy capitalist. The space behind the wardrobe grows darker with the withdrawal of day. The young pair, unknown to each other just hours before, lost in thought, consider what the future may bring. Jimmy breaks the silence—

“There was no music.”

“What do you mean?” Clara, whose name means bright and clear, asks.

“When you were dancing. There was no music. You have a music machine, but no music.”

Clara laughs. “Music machine! It is called a phonograph, silly boy. Have you never seen one?”

“Of course. I just didn’t know…”

“It doesn’t matter. The phonograph…the music machine does not work. The gears are broken. But I don’t need that stupid thing. I can hear the music.”

“Like in your mind?”

“No, not in my mind. I can hear the music, just as I hear you.” Clara places her mouth close to the keyhole, “The music whispers to me, Jimmy Quinn.”

His heart jumps. Who is this girl?

“Whisper dancing?”

“Yes! Yes, that is what I do, Jimmy. That is wonderful! Whisper dancing! You are a clever boy Jimmy Quinn. I would give you a hug if not for this stupid door!”

“Jimmy, supper is ready,” his grandmother’s voice interrupting the revelation.

“Come back tomorrow, young Mister Quinn. I look forward to the intrigue.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts

Hold My Hand

If you were to ask any of my children what colloquial truisms they recall their father uttering as they passed from toddler to young ad...