Tuesday, July 21, 2020

I Can't Do This



I can’t do this today

Peering through dirty windows at citizens hiding

behind shells made of unconvincing paper

Masking unspoken fears, unshaven faces, and unrealized hope

As I sip on day old coffee 


Listening to church bells ring meaningless summons

And politicians compete to weave the biggest lie

As the forgotten ones stand in lines separated by social space

To acquire food with borrowed money on borrowed time

From vendors looted the night before

Under the glow of burning cars, burning buildings, burning life

Streets filled with hate for brothers and sisters whose skin is

Darker, whiter, different

I can’t do this again

Sitting hour after hour

Watching, waiting


Alone

Behind broken memories

Wondering where you are

Everywhere I look

You are not there

I can’t do this 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts

Hold My Hand

If you were to ask any of my children what colloquial truisms they recall their father uttering as they passed from toddler to young ad...