Sunday, May 2, 2010

One Last Story

I met a man tonight that told me a story. I want to share his story with you.

He is married to a drug addict. They have been together for more than 20 years, for many of those years she abused drugs. He told me how he had lost almost everything during those years of abuse. He told me of the time and money stolen from his family so that the addict could satisfy her own desires.
I asked him why did he stay? Why not pack up everything and leave? He told me he loved her.

He told me how one day she hit rock bottom. Her crash to the bottom not only effected her life but it also hurt his children and him. He told me how he thanked God for finally intervening and ending many years of abuse and darkness. The he told how she stood up on the steep and rocky bottom; shaking her fist at the world. She denied an addiction. She lied about a secret life. In her anger she blamed him on her situation; spitting vile words of hatred at the man she married.
I asked him why did he stay? He told me that his children needed their mother; that he prayed each night that she would again become their mother; he had hope and faith that she would.

He told me of her recovery. He told me that she took small steps in the right direction. She began to accept professional help, an indication that the time of denial had ended. She became involved in support groups, attending meetings on a regular basis. As time progressed she began to again look like the woman he had married so many years ago. He believed that the hours spent in prayer, on bended knee, uttering at times nothing more than deep groans, had finally been answered. Then one day, hidden away carefully, he found her stash, freshly dated. She was again living a lie. She had managed to fool everyone, her doctors, her friends, her family.
I asked him why did he stay? He told me that God hates divorce. He told me that he did not want to be the one to make God cry.

He told me she once again promised to quit; although she had never admitted using again. She told him that God was working in her life, putting people in place that would help her. Putting people in place that she could help. He believed her. He was determined to make their marriage work after all they had gone through. So he watched each day as she progressed. He began again to see the subtle changes in her behavior and appearance. Her life was changing before his very eyes, for the better. He was witnessing the work of God in her life. So many prayers finally seemed to be answered....
And then he told me that one of those people that were now in her life...appears to be more than a friend. He told me that years of lying about drug abuse had enabled his wife to be an excellent liar about other matters also.

He told me that he felt as though all he has gone through, all the scars he bore, all the years he wasted, were all for nothing. He told me that if this was God's will then he would be better off without God. He said that if he had endured because of love, because of his children and because of God, then the endurance was meaningless. Love changes, children grow and enter their own world, and God, well God tempted him with faith, with hope. And then when all was done that could be done, God just walked away.

I told him that I would pray for him. I told him that I hoped the pain would again go numb. I told him that I hoped he would again one day trust God.
He didn't say anything.
I bowed my head to pray but could not find the words. So I just stood there in silence, head bowed and eyes closed.
When I opened my eyes I did not see this sad man. He was gone.
But I know that next time I look in the mirror he will be there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts

Hold My Hand

If you were to ask any of my children what colloquial truisms they recall their father uttering as they passed from toddler to young ad...