Thursday, September 17, 2009

99 or 1


Earlier this week during a family bible study, unexpectedly an occasion emerged to discuss the parable of the lost sheep, as told in the fifteenth chapter of Luke's gospel. Our conversation was about the "one"; the one lost sheep that had wandered away from the masses. Jesus reminds the cynical audience that a good shepherd will leave the flock to rescue the one that strayed. Once rescued the sheep is carried home on the shoulders of his master. The master announces his triumph to friends and family so they can all rejoice together.
As I drove the many miles home that night I had time to consider this impromptu conversation. Although the earlier discussion had not involved the subject of addiction, I began to consider the "one" as an addict that has wandered away from the masses because of a behavior, because of a choice to go numb. In my 52 years there have been many "1's" in my life, my thoughts were of these ones that I love; my father battled alcoholism for many years, my sister fought drug addiction to the death, her death. Second and third generation family members have battled, some still fight today. I thought of my wife's struggle for more than a decade against prescribed painkillers.As I continued the drive home my attention changed from the "1" to the "99". There have been many "ones", but I thought of the ninety-nine.
Those that did not take a path that leads to a life of self-abuse were hurt by the ones that strayed. The "ninety-nine" began to take new form in my mind. They became more than the names of family members and friends that were in the cataclysmic wake of the addict's behavior, the 99 included everything else that the addict touches. Holidays that are crushed, birthdays forgotten, memories that should elate, instead are avoided. This consuming wake drowns finances, it will soak relationships to a point where they cannot grow. Words are voiced by the addict and the family member that cut to the very marrow of our soul, leaving scars that last a lifetime. Marriages destroyed, trust annihilated, friendships ended.
Should we ever just forget the "one"? Let them stay lost, after all it was their choice. The pain will eventually subside, the scars will surely fade. Maybe one day they will find their way back to the family. Then we can rejoice, but until then why continue to try to find them. Why should we consider carrying them on our shoulders back to the security of the masses? The pain gone,we can begin to have a life without the worrying about one lost sheep.
Why? Because at some time we were the one. 2000 thousand years ago our Shepherd went to the cross looking for us. Knowing that we were lost, He died for us, He died for you and He died for me. He died for the one.
There will be rejoicing in Heaven when we go home, no longer lost.
Today is the day to leave the comfort of the 99 and go find the 1. Help stop the addiction, tell them of your love, tell them of Christ's love, do it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts

Hold My Hand

If you were to ask any of my children what colloquial truisms they recall their father uttering as they passed from toddler to young ad...