Thursday, February 19, 2015

Just a moment to brag

My daughter, Sara Rose came home yesterday with a new tattoo on her left arm. "I am enough" the blue ink declares. That's not what I am bragging about.
Sara is nineteen, living in a world so different than the one I experienced at the same age. If I could choose to be any age I wanted today it would not include any of the arduous teenage years. These future navigators face many more challenges than we did in the 1960s and 70s. As a society we have practically forced them to grow up too fast. We don't let them be kids anymore. Perhaps they don't want to be and I guess that could be said of any past generation, but that doesn't excuse this drive to make them act like and be an adult...sometimes way to soon.

Sara has become an adult already. But that's not what I am bragging about. Nor am I lamenting. She did so by overcoming many obstacles and challenges she has faced during the last few years. It began the day her mother left this family. Almost immediately Sara took on the added responsibilities that were vacated by the abrupt departure of her mother.

But that's not what I am bragging about.

Sara navigated her way through Canyon High School, graduating last year with a good GPA. She did so facing numerous challenges and obstacles, some of those self-inflicted when she acted as a true teenager...staying out too late or hanging with the wrong crowd (on occasion). Yet she overcame each one, never allowing them to stand in the way of life and graduation.

But that's not what I am bragging about.

Around 18 months ago Sara became a mommy. Logan James entered the world, a needy little boy. Logan is a blessing to me, he invigorates this old man when I seem to need it the most. But Logan was born while Sara was still in high school and born with allergies to...well it seemed almost everything. Sara spent many nights holding Logan and administering breathing treatments, or calming his crying that if not calmed would lead to the need for a breathing treatment. She sacrificed the much needed sleep of a senior in high school, because she loves her son so much.

But that's not what I am bragging about.

Sara's tattoo reads "I am enough". She has recognized something in her short time here on earth that I still struggle with after more than 57 years. "I am enough" is not her way of bragging about her own ability as a single mom, or as a young woman in the real world. It's not bragging about facing challenges head on, often alone and into uncharted territories. It's not bragging that she will often choose to tackle the world by herself as if proving a point to the nay-Sayers In fact, "I am enough" is not tainted with gloat at all.

I AM, is God. Jehovah Jireh,  the God who provides. And what is it that he has provided Sara with? Many things, but it is not about the things. It is about what God is doing (providing) in her walk with Him. It is about what God does for those who believe and trust in Him, not about things that He provides. It is about God changing who we are from within. He does so with perfection, patience and love. Sara knows God. Sara knows that because I AM is enough, she can say "I am enough".

Sara, I am proud of you. You have learned something that I hope one day to understand. Until then I am only enough because of you.

I love you,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts

Hold My Hand

If you were to ask any of my children what colloquial truisms they recall their father uttering as they passed from toddler to young ad...