Saturday, November 22, 2014

A New Journey Day 27



“The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want…”

David set the bar high when he penned the words “I shall not want”. Particularly when we consider the words which would follow-“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death.” David was a child of God, a king and a warrior; he would face the shadow of death many times during his life. If you read many of the other psalms that David wrote you will discover that the young king would cry out to the Lord each time the dark shadow of death stretched out its long tentacles, brushing the life of David just enough to bring fear to the warrior, yet the full power of Death deprived.

Facing Fear and Death (disguised as the enemies of Israel), David would sing out to his Lord asking for strength, asking for his enemies to be scattered. Singing, he would ask for rest and for wisdom, he would ask that the days of his life be extended. 

He wanted!
 
And yet in this most acclaimed psalm David declares, “I shall not want!”  Oh, if I could sit with David and ask him how, and then I would ask him why.  Why would he set this bar so high for all who would come after him, all who would follow the Lord? “I shall not want??” Really!

Four weeks ago my own valley was formed, excavated by the discovery of uninvited cancer cells. With scalpel in hand the surgeon removed the forward battalion of this most formidable enemy. But this undesirable invader had already begun to spread its own tentacles. An overreaching shadow cast its darkness upon me as I faced chemotherapy and the late night thoughts of death.

I knew I was surrounded by my own battalion of prayer warriors; friends and family that offered words of encouragement and prayers of hope. But late at night when you are not there... the Shadow of Death whispers quietly to me.

This morning I sat in my favorite chair and read the 23rd Psalm, pondering on David’s declaration-“I shall not want.” I told my Lord there are things that I do want!

Last week my daughter celebrated her 19th birthday…I want to see her 29th.
This year my youngest son began his own journey through the hallways of Canyon High School…I want to see him walk across the stage with the celebrated diploma in hand.
Soon I will be blessed with my 10th grandchild, Kennedy Lucille…I want to get to know her.

I want a Cheddar Cheezy Burger from Chris Madrids. This is a burger that should come with a Surgeon General’s Warning.

I want to see the Dallas Cowboys hoist another championship trophy.

I want to see you have the same peace that I have, a peace that comes from knowing Jesus Christ.

Someday, I am certain, all of these things will happen whether I am here to witness them or not (except the Cheddar Cheezy Burger from Chris Madrids, that will most certainly require my presence). I am at peace with my Lord and the thought of death does not cause me fear…but I still want.
David, please tell me how to sing the words I shall not want!

There is a greater shadow that David sang about…
 Psalm 36:7-9 (paraphrased by me and for me)

How precious is your unfailing love, O God!
I take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
I feast on the abundance of your house;
You gave me drink from your river of delights.
For with you is the fountain of life;
In your light I see light…

there is nothing else to want for.
Except maybe a Cheddar Cheezy Burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts

Hold My Hand

If you were to ask any of my children what colloquial truisms they recall their father uttering as they passed from toddler to young ad...