Saturday, October 25, 2014

Where the tears go

More than thirty years have passed since I penned my first poem. There have been only a few since then. But today, influenced by my dear friend, Cameron Dockery and a rather melancholic mood and an empty house, I decided to try again to write as a poet.
Below you will find this creation, it is called Where the tears go. I think of it as a work in progress, let me know what you think...

Where the tears go
by J Hirtle




The old man stood bent at the waist.
The autumn of his life
Declared by the lines on his face.
His hands unable to conceal their constant tremble.

Ten thousand days, maybe more, we have had
Since he first enlightened this lyricist, yet but a lad.
He has always seemed old to me
A friend none the less he will always be.
From the beginning I knew he was wise.
Today I asked my question, as oft I do,
"Where do tears go when they depart my eyes?"

I know they wander down my cheeks
When my emotions I cannot disguise
So tell me dear sir,
"Where do tears go when they depart my eyes?"

Without a word he looked at me
A glimpse of sadness broke upon his face
For he already knew the reason I inquired.
The doctor’s words had no hope to lend,
It seems my time here is nearing the end.

A creeping smile slowly began to appear,
He told me sagely,
You have nothing to fear.
Soon you will stand in the place He prepared for you.
There you will see the glorious truth-
Tears never die or go away
They turn to mist
To be used another day

Soon you will understand
He knows every one that has ever dared to fall
And He will stretch out His hand
And gently wipe them all.
That my dear friend
Is where the tears go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts

Hold My Hand

If you were to ask any of my children what colloquial truisms they recall their father uttering as they passed from toddler to young ad...